World-changing climate-tech startup is inviting you, a multi-faceted Product Designer with a diverse set of skills and experiences, to work with us at the forefront of climate action.
Aclima is pioneering an entirely new way to diagnose the health of our air and track climate-changing pollution. Powered by our network of roving and stationary sensors, Aclima measures air pollution and greenhouse gases at unprecedented scales and block-by-block resolution. Our professional analytics software, Aclima Pro, translates billions of scientific measurements into environmental intelligence for governments, companies, and communities. Our free app, air.health, maps address-level air and climate insights for the communities we serve. Aclima is a purpose-driven technology company catalyzing bold climate action that protects public health, reduces emissions, and delivers clean air for all.
Aclima is one of Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World and #1 in Data Science, Inc Magazine’s Best in Business, a Fast Company 2022 World Changing Idea, a WEF Technology Pioneer, and one of the top 100 companies in GovTech for 2022. Aclima is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Portland and Brooklyn. To learn more visit https://aclima.io.
About the Role
At Aclima you will be designing next generation data products with real-world value – redefining the way in which community groups, regulators, and governments visualize and reduce air pollution. Consistently finding and delivering value from a complex system of scientific constraints is both the challenge and opportunity. We design solutions using internal tools, Mapbox, Tableau, Kepler, and often Miro and Google to tell compelling stories. The ideal candidate will be dependable, driven, detail-oriented, and disciplined. We value independent individuals who lean into divergent thinking, detailed and consistent execution, communication, and who take pride in celebrating excellent outcomes as team efforts.
On any given day, you will:
- Collaborate with our product team to solve problems with tight scientific constraints in order to create impactful and valuable experiences with minimal oversight
- Employ human-centered design methods to drive initiatives forward, using the most appropriate and effective methods in different scenarios. (Be prepared to argue in favor of and against focus groups.)
- Drive user research activities including interviews, surveys, and usability tests to validate design hypotheses, surface product opportunities, and prioritize features
- Facilitate workshops to address complex opportunities that require divergent thinking
- Create user flows, storyboards, wireframes, and both medium and high-fidelity prototypes that promote thorough understanding of the solution and the ‘why?’ behind it
- Contribute to and advocate for Aclima’s nascent design system in partnership with other designers
- Empathetically give and receive design critique to encourage high-quality work and continuously improve the team’s design practice
- Advocate for users at all times, and design accessible experiences
- Influence strategic decisions and product roadmap with both the product and executive teams
- Expert design fundamentals: color, typography, hierarchy, iconography, spacing, and motion
- User research experience – be comfortable leading and reporting customer insights
- Ability to articulate design decisions and lead conversations about product decisions with individuals outside of the product organization including atmospheric scientists, data scientists, and engineers
- Experience utilizing a wide range of design techniques including storyboarding, information architecture, user research, and prototyping to deliver compelling narratives
- Proven ability to ship customer-facing products that provide real user and business value
- An innate desire to design creative solutions and iterate efficiently
- Strong design software prowess (e.g. Figma, Sketch, Adobe)
- Data visualization and GIS experience and/or proclivity – Mapbox, Kepler, SQL, Tableau, BigQuery
- Understanding of web accessibility standards and universal design principles
- Web development rudiments – html, css, react, storybook
- Based in Portland, Oregon though open to remote.
Please know that you can be a great candidate even if you don’t have everything we’ve described above. You might also possess important skills and experience we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself (especially in your cover letter).
Equal Employment Opportunity
Aclima is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and has proudly made the Kapor Capital Founders’ Commitment. Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities. Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Aside from the fulfillment of working alongside world-class colleagues to make a positive impact in people’s lives, while improving planetary and public health, Aclima offers competitive compensation, equity potential, and excellent benefits. Benefits include medical/dental/vision/Life/AD&D/LTD, 401K, commuter and wellness credits, company events, and an extraordinary culture
To apply for this job email your details to DIANA.SOUZA@ACLIMA.IO