Aclima is pioneering an entirely new way to diagnose the health of our air and track climate-changing pollution. Powered by our network of roving and stationary sensors, Aclima measures air pollution and greenhouse gases at unprecedented scales and block-by-block resolution. Our professional analytics software, Aclima Pro, translates billions of scientific measurements into environmental intelligence for governments, companies, and communities. Our free app, air.health, maps address-level air and climate insights for the communities we serve. Aclima is a purpose-driven technology company catalyzing bold climate action that protects public health, reduces emissions, and delivers clean air for all.
Aclima is one of Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World and #1 in Data Science, Inc Magazine’s Best in Business, a Fast Company 2022 World Changing Idea, a WEF Technology Pioneer, and one of the top 100 companies in GovTech for 2022. Aclima is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Portland and Brooklyn. To learn more visit https://aclima.io.
About the Software Team
The software team at Aclima works across the technology stack. Our hardware and firmware engineers design and build our data collection platform, while our technical operations team fabricates technology and maintains and operates our instruments in cities across the world. The software team integrates the work across these disciplines and more. By being part of the software team, you can accelerate and amplify the efforts of everyone on the team as well as our customers.
The software team is responsible for running data ingestion, databases, data analysis systems, and for serving that data to our interfaces and product teams. Additionally, we support teams inside Aclima, building internal tooling that ranges from flashing firmware in the field to optimizing routing algorithms for mobile data collection. We are looking for passionate Software Engineers to expand the capacity of the team and to collaborate with data scientists, physical scientists, hardware engineers, and designers in a fast-paced, purpose-driven atmosphere with flexible hours and competitive benefits.
Our stack includes: Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, PubSub, DataFlow, CloudSQL, GCS), Python (Flask), ElasticSearch, MapBox, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, Git, Go, React, Redis, Pandas.
You will be responsible for building tooling and infrastructure to enable more rapid iteration on our data collection and serving objectives. Projects could include: working on a tool that routes drivers in the field to optimize data collection, based on environmental and traffic data; introducing and migrating to data tooling which supports a DAG of data jobs; or working to scale services that present data to our teams and customers. You will take projects from concept to production, operating independently at all levels of the stack.
You will communicate with fellow engineers and non-technical stakeholders to clearly convey technical decisions and concepts, as well as to solicit and implement user feedback. You may need to learn new skills such as our custom ETL pipeline, hardware management tooling, learn new scientific or data science concepts, communicating and building across our technical teams.
As a member of our growing software team, you will help to define and set our future direction. Depending on your interests, you could take on initiatives large and small, from contributing to new standards for code review or continuous deployment or implementing new approaches for cross-team collaboration.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers to build, maintain, and improve Aclima’s data platform
- Architect scalable backend systems, services, and APIs
- Provide data engineering support to the data science team to productionize their output
- Identify gaps in automation and workflows, and build tooling to address them
- Collaborate with senior leaders to chart a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our systems
- Work closely with fellow team members to nurture a collaborative environment by encouraging an openness to feedback, learning, and iteration.
- 5+ years experience working with software engineering teams
- Demonstrated track record and success designing, building, scaling and maintaining production services
- Ability to identify and diagnose problems and then build and deploy solutions
- Demonstrated experience with overseeing and deploying new technologies and approaches
- Desire for continuous learning of new technologies, languages, and platforms
- Deep knowledge of Python and Flask
- Familiarity with cloud environments, especially Google Cloud Platform, and Docker/k8s
- Knowledge of data processing systems, e.g. Airflow or Google Dataflow
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bonus points for: Experience with embedded systems and firmware
Please know that you can be a great candidate even if you don’t have everything we’ve described above. You might also possess important skills and experience we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself (especially in your cover letter- this is where you can really shine).
Full-time position only. The position can be remote or with our teams in Portland, San Francisco, or NYC.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Aclima is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and has proudly made the Kapor Capital Founders’ Commitment. Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities. Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Aside from the fulfillment of working alongside world-class colleagues to make a positive impact in people’s lives, while improving planetary and public health, Aclima offers competitive compensation, equity potential, and excellent benefits. Benefits include medical/dental/vision/Life/AD&D/LTD, 401K, commuter and wellness credits, company events, and an extraordinary culture.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.