Family and Community Engagement Content Manager
Website Common Sense Media
Common Sense (commonsense.org) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents, caregivers, and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The Family and Community Engagement team’s Content Manager will use their bilingual (Spanish/English) writing and speaking skills and cultural knowledge to oversee the creation of high-quality, relevant articles, videos, and other resources in Spanish for our Common Sense Latino program, which serves Spanish-speaking and predominantly lower-income families. This role will also provide Spanish-speaking families with advice and recommendations via workshops, presentations, and press interviews. Other responsibilities include maintaining an up-to-date Spanish style guide, managing contract translators, managing Spanish content in a database, and working with other departments to deliver family resources in Spanish for a range of projects and initiatives. All work will be done through a child-development and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) lens. We are committed to hiring team members from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences, and strongly encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Content Director, Family and Community Engagement
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Occasional local and out-of-state travel
LOCATION: Flexible – San Francisco, CA, or remote
Please note: If this role allows for remote work, we will consider applicants for employment in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, NC, NE, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, and WA.
75% – Content Management and Creation
Work primarily with the Family and Community Engagement Team to:
- Become an expert in our research-backed advice on kids’ media use, producing Spanish content for families that aligns with the organization’s focus on DEI, Common Sense research, age-based child development guidelines, and our K–12 Digital Citizenship Curriculum.
- Write original content in a variety of formats, such as short-form articles, Q&As, video scripts, text messages, tips, family activities, and conversation starters.
- Edit translated Spanish content to align with our brand voice and ensure the content is relevant and attuned to the needs of our Spanish-speaking and bilingual audience.
- Collaborate with other teams across the organization to support Spanish-language needs, including translating copy and proofreading.
- Maintain and apply the Common Sense Spanish style guide to all written materials, with a special focus on inclusive language, empathy for diverse populations, and readability.
- Manage topic-focused content collections, updating resources and creating new pieces as needed.
- Manage two part-time contractors: a translator and a copy editor.
- Work closely with existing Family and Community Engagement team members to fulfill content partner deliverables.
- Use our proprietary content management system to publish resources.
- Represent the voice of Latino families in content and distribution brainstorms and planning.
- Stay on top of all family media trends, demographic changes, and challenges (with a focus on Latino communities).
25% – Trainings, Presentations, and Interviews
Support the Family and Community Engagement team to:
- Cultivate relationships with community-based organizations, with an emphasis on organizations that serve Black, Latino, and lower-income youth and families nationally.
- Introduce Common Sense resources to partner organizations in both English and Spanish.
- Create and deliver presentations, webinars, and workshops to English- and Spanish-speaking families and intermediaries (promotores, family liaisons, etc.) focused on children’s use of media and technology.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Spanish-language press interviews and media segments locally and nationally on TV, radio, publications, and social media to promote Common Sense resources and research, and speak on other trending topics about children, media, and technology.
- Background in content production/journalism/online content creation in Spanish.
- 3+ years’ experience in an editorial capacity; focus on families a plus.
- Native Spanish fluency (required). We are looking for a fully bilingual and bicultural candidate.
- Excellent Spanish writing, editing, and speaking skills.
- Expertise in media and tech, digital inclusion, or mental health preferred.
- Familiarity with media and pop culture trends.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to execute projects while working in a self-directed way, with priorities/deadlines that may shift quickly.
- Technical know-how, with experience using online content management systems and cloud-based software.
- Passion and commitment to serving Latino communities in the U.S. and beyond.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You are inspired by Common Sense’s mission!
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Work with passionate professionals.
- Comprehensive health and wellness benefits: medical, dental, vision, and fitness.
- Matching 401(k).
- Work-life balance.
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
To apply for this job please visit commonsense.hire.trakstar.com.