Senior IT Systems Engineer / Technical Architect
Website Harvard Kennedy School
Ask what you can do.
Lead comprehensive IT architecture and implementation of infrastructure systems for highly complex projects; typically work as part of a team to deliver complex business solutions. Role may focus on one or more technical areas. Function as a subject matter expert to execute strategy. May manage several projects simultaneously.The individual in this role will also be responsible for leading and supporting day to day operations.
• Participate fully in the build, configuration and documentation of IT infrastructure
• Execute technical direction ensuring stability, reliability and integration
• Lead research and design of robust and secure IT solutions
• Participate in short and long term strategic planning
• Establish and maintain internal/external stakeholder relationships
• Contribute to establishing policies, guidelines, and standards
• Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
• Manage and support day to day operations; lead operations team, delegate work, resolve issues, manage escalations
• Work with HKSIT leadership to develop and evolve strategy and roadmap for our portfolio of systems and services
• Identify opportunities for automation and other service improvements on an ongoing basis
• Work on advancing HKS IT security, compliance and accessibility domains.
• Propose opportunities to innovate and transform HKS IT
Minimum of seven years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
• Knowledge of IT infrastructure systems within an enterprise environment
• Highly specialized knowledge of a specific technology
• Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor
• Significant experience designing, deploying, managing and supporting cloud infrastructure and services, preferably Azure and AWS
• Significant scripting experience using Python, Bash/shell, Perl, PowerShell, or other scripting languages.
• Significant experience with automation and configuration management tools, preferably Ansible
• Experience leading technical teams; designing solutions, managing workload, delegating work, escalating issues, keeping projects and operations on track
• Ability to work with stakeholders at all levels
• Strong communication skills
• Experience supporting enterprise UNIX/Linux infrastructure
• Experience developing technical and user facing documentation
• Experience with system monitoring tools, preferably LogicMonitor
• Experience deploying to Code Version Control, preferably Git
• Experience with secure software design
• Experience with agile methodologies
• Familiarity with deploying or developing for the Drupal CMS
• Familiarity with log aggregation tools, preferably Splunk
• Familiarity with relational and /or SQL databases, preferably MySQL
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Please note: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with transition to onsite in Cambridge, Massachusetts when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Salary Range: $92,000 – $160,400
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard Kennedy School’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
Harvard Kennedy School’s mission is to improve public policy and leadership so people can live in societies that are more safe, free, just, and sustainably prosperous. Our teaching, research, and engagement with practitioners focus on these priorities:
Protecting security, freedom, and human rights
Advancing social justice
Increasing economic well-being
Improving public leadership and management
You can be part of this endeavor. Explore and learn more about Harvard Kennedy School.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com