Director of Product Engineering
Honeycomb is built to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. It’s a service for the near future and present, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We believe in the dream of consumer-quality developer tools and are excited to be building a product that raises our industry’s expectations of what our tools can do for us.
This role will have you leading Honeycomb’s Product Engineering domain, the folks who craft Honeycomb’s innovative web-based data exploration and visualization experiences. This group of about 20 engineers and managers includes both full-stack engineers and frontend engineers, and collaborates closely with our product management and design teams using a triad-based approach. In this role, you’ll manage a team of engineering managers and (possibly) some of our most senior ICs, help us craft the next iteration of our technology strategy, level up our daily processes and collaboration, and help us build and refine an engineering management culture with industry-wide influence.
This role would be a good fit for someone who:
- Knows how to define, communicate, and execute against a strategy — and is excited to help others learn these skills too. As we scale our team, we’re working on shifting more of our technology strategy from implicit to explicit, and from short-term to long-term. We want to clarify and expand how our senior ICs can contribute to this work and help them level up their strategic thinking in the process.
- Lives and breathes collaboration with product and design. A strong candidate for this role would be familiar with triad-based collaboration and the methodologies of product leaders like Marty Cagan and Jeff Patton, and they would be excited to help our engineering leaders level up at product thinking. They would also be familiar with modern UX and product design techniques and best practices, and have strong empathy for both designers and customers. Experience deploying and working with design systems (either in a management role or as an IC) is a plus.
- Has demonstrated experience shaping and improving software delivery processes. We don’t crave process for its own sake — but we know the right process at the right time can help everyone breathe easier, worry less about the small stuff, and deliver great work more efficiently. We’re looking for someone who can help us refine our small company practices and iterate them through our next few phases of growth — especially around cross-team collaboration — and level up at augmenting our understanding of how we’re doing with data.
- Understands the value of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team — and has some experience building them. Scaling a team always brings both opportunities and growing pains. We’re looking for a leader who can help us capitalize on the former and minimize the latter, while continuing to diversify on key axes. We are trying to raise the standards for developer tools, and we know that a diverse, inclusive team will help us build better products for a larger swath of the industry.
- Is genuinely excited about growing our next cohort of engineering leaders. We work in an industry where management culture sometimes feels like an afterthought, but we think growing a great management culture — and developing all our leaders, whether manager or IC — is one of the best investments we can make at our size and stage.
- Has management experience. We’re looking for at least three years of engineering management experience and at least a year of experience managing managers, with demonstrated success in the role.
What You Get When You Join The Hive!
- Base pay (range) of $245,000- 280,000
A stake in our success – generous equity with employee-friendly stock program
It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are – our pay is based on transparent levels relative to experience
- Compensation benchmarked to San Francisco market – no matter of where you live (or move)!
A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
- 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Time To Recharge – Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, 14 US company holidays in 2022, and one 3-day weekend per month
- Pick Your Perk – $600 a year to spend on the perks that you care about most
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
- The tech you need AND a $500 Home Setup Stipend
- $200 Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
- $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood
- Maven Inclusive Family-Building benefit including unlimited virtual appointments, coaches & counselors, and $10K ‘wallet’ to support adoption, surrogacy, IVF, and egg/sperm freezing
- Semi-annual performance conversations (we call them Review & Rewards conversations) – so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impact
- Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don’t need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.ioto discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better – we want to know!
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.