Senior Engineering Manager – Storage
What We’re Building
Honeycomb is built to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. It’s a service for the near and present future, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We are passionate about consumer-quality developer tools and excited to build technology that raises our industry’s expectations of what our tools can do for us. We’re working with well known companies like Hello Fresh, Slack, LaunchDarkly, and Vanguard and more across a range of industries. This is an exciting time in our trajectory, as we’ve closed Series C funding, scaled past the 150-person mark, and were named to Forbes’ America’s Best Startups of 2022!
As the Senior Engineering Manager of our newly-forming full-stack storage team, you’ll be helping to build and shape a growing product engineering team that builds and maintains our core data exploration features, working on everything from our core query engine technology to Tracing to BubbleUp.
Who We Are
We come for the impact, and stay for the culture! We’re a talented, opinionated, passionate, fiercely inclusive, and responsible group of bees. We have conviction and we strive to live our values every day. We want our people to do what they truly love amongst a team of highly talented (but humble) peers.
How We Work
We are a remote-first company, which means we believe it is not where you sit, but how you deliver that matters most. We invest in our people and care about how you orient to our culture and processes. At the same time we imbue a lot of trust, autonomy, and accountability from Day 1. #LI-Remote
What You’ll Do
- Build up a team. You’ll be managing a newly-forming team that combines folks from our product engineering and platform engineering domains. You’ll have a chance to help shape the team charter, culture and practices, as well as hire to fill out the team with needed expertise.
- Help us prove out — or revise — our “software ownership” model. We believe great software engineers care deeply about what happens in production, and they’re also the folks best equipped to support the features and software they write after deployment. However, moving to this model with such a deeply full-stack team is a somewhat new experience for us. We’d love to have your help piloting this model with the team and iterating on what we learn.
- Articulate & evolve strategy. We think good strategy doesn’t just come from the top down — we hire great people, and we believe in leveraging their domain expertise to shape our strategies at multiple levels of the company. While we’ve often had implicit technology strategies for this area of our stack, we think it’s time to go from implicit to explicit — and we’d love to have you partner with our management team and senior ICs to help drive this forward.
- Find balance in different streams of work. Nearly all engineering teams sometimes struggle to balance different streams of work — but at a startup where there are so. many. good. ideas. for how we could improve our product and delight our customers, the balance is particularly tricky. We hope you’ll take an active role in helping the team find balance across various potential efforts, making sure we’re making time for forward-looking technical investments in addition to the feature work and portfolio maintenance.
- You’re excited to help shape and build a newly re-forming team. This role will work with a newly forming team that brings together a product engineering team and our nascent storage team, combining into a deeply full stack team that works on some of our most complex data exploration features. Someone who’s excited to help a team storm, form, and norm and build its practices while retaining the best of the current team culture would be a great fit.
- You live and breathe collaboration with product and design. A strong candidate for this role would be familiar with triad-based collaboration and the methodologies of product leaders like Marty Cagan and Jeff Patton, and they would be excited to help our engineers level up at product thinking. They would also be familiar with modern UX and product design techniques, and bring empathy for designers — and customers.
- You have demonstrated experience shaping and improving software delivery. We don’t crave process for its own sake — but we know the right process at the right time can help everyone breathe easier, worry less about the small stuff, and deliver great work more efficiently. We’re looking for someone who can help us refine our small company practices and iterate them through our next few phases of growth.
- You understand the value of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team — and have some experience building them. Scaling a team always brings both opportunities and growing pains. We’re looking for a leader who can help us capitalize on the former and minimize the latter, while continuing to diversify on key axes. We are trying to raise the standards for developer tools, and we know that a diverse, inclusive, equitable team will help us build better products for a larger swath of the industry.
- You’re practiced at helping your team grow and build their career paths. In this role, you’ll be in close conversation with your team on their career development and growth plans, helping them shape their career paths as well as understand how their work fits into the big picture of Honeycomb’s business goals.
- You have some management experience. We’re looking for someone who can speak to experiences of developing senior IC careers, has had experience managing multiple work streams or small teams, and has shaped, collaborated, and delivered on product and engineering roadmaps.
What You Get When You Join the Hive
- Base pay (range) of $190,000 – $220,000 (Engineering Manager) and $220,000 – $245,000 (Senior Engineering Manager) USD
- A stake in our success – generous equity with employee-friendly stock program
- It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are – our pay is based on transparent levels relative to experience
- Compensation benchmarked to San Francisco market – no matter where you live (or move)!
- 401k plan to help you plan for your future
- A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
- 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Time To Recharge – Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, 14 US company holidays in 2022, and one 3-day weekend per month
- Pick Your Perk – $600 a year to spend on the perks that you care about most
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
- The tech you need AND a $500 Home Setup Stipend
- $200 Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
- $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood
- Maven Inclusive Family-Building benefit including unlimited virtual appointments, coaches & counselors, and $10K ‘wallet’ to support adoption, surrogacy, IVF, and egg/sperm freezing
- Semi-annual performance conversations (we call them Review & Rewards conversations) – so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impact
- Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don’t need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.io to discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better – we want to know!
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.