Site Reliability Engineer
What We’re Building
Honeycomb is a service for the near and present future, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We build to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. This is an exciting time in our trajectory, we’ve closed Series C funding, scaled past 100-person mark, and named to Forbes’ America’s Best Startups of 2022!
You’ll be a joining a growing SRE team focused on 3 major areas: forward looking reliability and capacity-planning work, on-call practices, and internal tooling. Each of these areas encompasses much of our Honeycomb system, so SREs vary their approach from identifying new work, embedding in teams, providing operational expertise, and building force-multiplying tooling.
Who We Are
We come for the impact, and stay for the culture! We’re a talented, opinionated, passionate, fiercely inclusive, and responsible group of bees. We have conviction and we strive to live our values every day. We want our people to do what they truly love amongst a team of highly talented (but humble) peers.
How We Work
We are a remote-first company, which means we believe it is not where you sit, but how you deliver that matters most. We invest in our people and care about how you orient to our culture and processes. At the same time we imbue a lot of trust, autonomy, and accountability from Day 1.
What you will Bring to
- Can debug both automated and human processes. The systems that let our service run are both technical and social. Building processes to facilitate effective responses to service failures from the engineers running these services gives us room to automate responses.
- Can work in both software engineering and operations. Deeply understanding how internet services run and scale is critical to ensuring their reliability. Building systems to help them scale is critical to helping the team move quickly. SRE must live in harmony with both worlds to succeed, pinch hitting across our stack from the storage engine itself, our automation around it, and the configuration of our infrastructure. The ideal candidate would probably enjoy a bit of variety in their work and not find it too distracting to help out with other projects from time to time.
- Can find balance in all things. Distributed systems are complicated creatures and sometimes need complicated tools to support them. Sometimes the added complication is not worth the benefit. This role can help cast a critical eye on balancing complication and simplicity, building and buying technology, spending innovation tokens where needed and choosing boring technology when it’s not.
- Enjoys teaching and practice. We want you to help us run our systems better. You know how to build good systems and can also help teach entire teams to build for reliability.
- Sees toil as opportunity for change. It is easy for people to patch holes in process or technical implementation for too long. Spotting these opportunities, shortening their feedback loops, and building tools or automation to remove entire classes of problems will help us scale our company and product to the next order of magnitude.
- Bonus: Has some experience with stateful services. Keeping data is hard – keeping data in custom-built data storage layers is doubly hard. We need to apply the principles of SRE to help scale, tune, and maintain our main storage and query engine.
- SRE is a title that means a lot of different things at different companies. Honeycomb is focused on understanding production systems in order to reduce toil and delight engineers – SRE at
- Honeycomb is focused on bringing together all aspects of running a reliable service, from infrastructure, through instrumentation and tooling in the product itself and the team of people that build and run it. SRE is a force multiplier, enabling engineers to most easily and effectively own their own products.
What You Get When You Join The Hive!
- Base compensation for this position, based on level of experience, is $185,000- $215,000.
- A stake in our success – generous equity with employee-friendly stock program
- It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are – our pay is based on transparent levels relative to experience
- Compensation benchmarked to San Francisco market – no matter of where you live (or move)!
- A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
- 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Time To Recharge – Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, 14 US company holidays in 2022, and one 3-day weekend per month
- Pick Your Perk – $600 a year to spend on the perks that you care about most
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
- The tech you need AND a $500 Home Setup Stipend
- $200 Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
- $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood
- Maven Inclusive Family-Building benefit including unlimited virtual appointments, coaches & counselors, and $10K ‘wallet’ to support adoption, surrogacy, IVF, and egg/sperm freezing
- Semi-annual performance conversations (we call them Review & Rewards conversations) – so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impact
- Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don’t need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.ioto discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better – we want to know!
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.