Engineering Manager- Open Source
Are you an engineering manager who loves to build great teams and great technology? Honeycomb is looking for a manager to support our Collection Team. This newly forming engineering team will invest in projects like the OpenTelemetry Collector and Honeycomb’s Refinery to build a world for our customers where collecting, shaping, and managing production telemetry is a joy. Check out this blog post about our spicy take on stand-up meetings to see more about how our teams operate!
What We’re Building
Honeycomb is built to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. It’s a service for the near and present future, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We are passionate about consumer-quality developer tools and excited to build technology that raises our industry’s expectations of what our tools can do for us. We’re working with well known companies like Hello Fresh, Slack, LaunchDarkly, and Vanguard and more across a range of industries. This is an exciting time in our trajectory, as we’ve closed Series C funding, scaled past the 150-person mark, and were named to Forbes’ America’s Best Startups of 2022!
Who We Are
We come for the impact, and stay for the culture! We’re a talented, opinionated, passionate, fiercely inclusive, and responsible group of bees. We have conviction and we strive to live our values every day. We want our people to do what they truly love amongst a team of highly talented (but humble) peers.
How We Work
We are a remote-first company, which means we believe it is not where you sit, but how you deliver that matters most. We invest in our people and care about how you orient to our culture and processes. At the same time we imbue a lot of trust, autonomy, and accountability from Day 1. #LI-Remote
What You’ll Do
- Build up a team. You’ll be supporting a newly-forming team cleaving off an existing team and focusing on Honeycomb’s open source telemetry pipeline tooling. You’ll have the chance to support this group of humans in shaping the team’s charter, norms, and rituals, as well as build camaraderie, trust, and psychological safety.
- Grow the team to handle its area of ownership. The initial seed of team members is small but mighty, and it will need to grow to own the product and operational surface area it will support. Hiring to fill out the team as well as coaching to level up individuals will be key focus areas for the manager of this team.
- Guide the team towards the highest impact work. Like all our teams, this team will own a large area with many enticing opportunities to pursue. Identifying the highest impact work requires collaboration with your product and engineering peers. Executing on it requires the same with the team to build clarity and competency so the team can own its execution and impact.
- You have some experience leading a high-performing team of engineers, including managing and shipping cross-functional or multi-team projects. You are excited to support and grow empowered teams through a blend of physiological safety and positive accountability.
- You enjoy collaborating with product management to understand the larger business context and frame projects and prioritization around impact to the business and users. Bonus points if you are familiar with the Product Management philosophies of people like Marty Cagan and Jeff Patton.
- You’ve worked in product engineering roles with meaningful backend experience and understand the technology, tools, and challenges enough to rise to at least a Senior Engineer or an equivalent level. You’re endlessly curious about the technologies your team works with and strive to keep your technical knowledge sharp — but you also feel comfortable knowing your greatest impact won’t be as a technical contributor.
- You understand the value of building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team and bring that lens to your work as a leader in hiring, team culture, and beyond. We are trying to raise the standards for developer tools, and we know that a diverse, inclusive, equitable team will help us build better products for a larger swath of the industry.
- You have demonstrated experience shaping and improving software delivery. We don’t crave process for its own sake — but we know the right process at the right time can help everyone breathe easier, worry less about the small stuff, and deliver great work more efficiently. You understand methodologies like Agile, XP, and Lean, and see their value, but don’t believe there’s only one right way to get work done.
- You are comfortable with the pace and trade offs of a growth stage startup (meaning: know how to take care of yourself and your team, get your work done without working around the clock, prioritize ruthlessly, be able to tolerate a little uncertainty and sometimes wear different hats).
What You Get When You Join the Hive
- Base pay (range) of $190,000 – $220,000 USD
- A stake in our success – generous equity with employee-friendly stock program
- It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are – our pay is based on transparent levels relative to experience
- Compensation benchmarked to San Francisco market – no matter where you live (or move)!
- 401k plan to help you plan for your future
- A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
- 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Time To Recharge – Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, 19 US Holidays in 2023 (which includes a company wide break at the end of the year to help you relax and recharge for the new year), and one 3-day weekend per month
- Pick Your Perk – $600 a year to spend on the perks that you care about most
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
- The tech you need AND a $500 Home Setup Stipend
- $200 Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
- $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood
- Maven Inclusive Family-Building benefit including unlimited virtual appointments, coaches & counselors, and $10K ‘wallet’ to support adoption, surrogacy, IVF, and egg/sperm freezing
- Semi-annual performance conversations (we call them Review & Rewards conversations) – so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impact
- Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don’t need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.io to discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better – we want to know!
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.