Software Engineer- Telemetry
What We’re Building
Honeycomb is a service for the near and present future, redefining observability and raising expectations of what our developer tools can do for us! We’re working with well known companies like Hello Fresh, Slack, LaunchDarkly, and Vanguard and more across a range of industries. This is an exciting time in our trajectory, we’ve closed Series C funding, scaled past 100-person mark, and named to Forbes’ America’s Best Startups of 2022! In our Software Engineer role, you’ll be a joining a growing Telemetry team, helping us to build and improve open source SDKs and tools across a variety of programming languages, work with open standards around tracing and instrumentation, and enable our customers to quickly and easily get their most valuable data into Honeycomb. You will help build a vibrant open source community and work directly with customers to influence changes to our products.
Who We Are
We come for the impact, and stay for the culture! We’re a talented, opinionated, passionate, fiercely inclusive, and responsible group of bees. We have conviction and we strive to live our values every day. We want our people to do what they truly love amongst a team of highly talented (but humble) peers.
How We Work
We are a remote-first company, which means we believe it is not where you sit, but how you deliver that matters most. We invest in our people and care about how you orient to our culture and processes. At the same time we imbue a lot of trust, autonomy, and accountability from Day 1.
What You’ll Do In Role:
- Loves creating a good developer experience. You’ll be working with some of our most important product surface area: the place where customers integrate Honeycomb into their code, so you’ll do well if you are the kind of engineer who enjoys thinking about how to make code and documentation that other engineers are delighted to work with.
- Has an interest in observability. You’re curious about tooling that helps you understand what your code does in production. You may have some experience with those tools, and have thoughts about how they fit into developer practice.
- Values clear, open communication.We see clear, thoughtful, and regular written & face-to-face communication (including a willingness to give & receive feedback) as a fundamental engineering skill and one of the strongest predictors of future engineering impact, not just a nice to have, and we hope you do too.
- Enjoys collaboration. In this role, you’d be working with customers, open-source community members, and other Honeycomb R&D members including product, engineering, and design. The best candidate is probably someone who enjoys collaborating to help ensure a stellar experience in our product across a variety of areas.
- Is a polyglot. You are fluent in a few popular programming languages, have worked in a multi-language environment before, and have a sense for when to favor consistency across codebases vs. when to use language-specific idioms.
- Likes being a generalist. We’re a small team at Honeycomb, so there will be plenty of opportunities to jump around and help out with other areas of our engineering and product efforts as well — the ideal candidate would probably enjoy a bit of variety in their work and not find it too distracting to help out with other projects from time to time.
- Has some solid professional experience as a software engineer or in a related role, advancing beyond an entry-level position (> 2 years of professional experience).
What You Get When You Join The Hive!
- Base pay (range), based on level of experience, is $140,000 – $160,000
A stake in our success – generous equity with employee-friendly stock program
- It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are – our pay is based on transparent levels relative to experience
- Compensation benchmarked to San Francisco market – no matter of where you live (or move)!
- A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
- 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Time To Recharge – Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, 14 US company holidays in 2022, and one 3-day weekend per month
- Maven Inclusive Family-Building benefit including unlimited virtual appointments, coaches & counselors, and $10K ‘wallet’ to support adoption, surrogacy, IVF, and egg/sperm freezing
- Pick Your Perk – $600 a year to spend on the perks that you care about most
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
- The tech you need AND a $500 Home Setup Stipend
- $200 Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
- $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood
- Semi-annual performance conversations (we call them Review & Rewards conversations) – so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impact
- Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don’t need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.io to discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better – we want to know!