Engineering Manager – Corporate Systems Engineering
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
Netflix is reinventing how the world watches television. Over 200 million members around the globe enjoy our award-winning movies and TV shows, but most of our growth still lies ahead. Netflix’s success has been anchored in its culture and its ability to attract and retain world-class talent. Corporate Engineering at Netflix is focused on improving the experience, productivity, and effectiveness of people who work at Netflix, through the use of technology.
You might think of Corporate Engineering as an IT group, if IT was part of engineering, treated and led as a first-class product/engineering function, and focused on maximizing beneficial outcomes rather than constraining costs. In other words, an IT that does not suck.
Corporate Systems Engineering (COSE; we currently pronounce this “cozy” because why not?) is focused on building and integrating systems in support of Corporate Engineering’s charter.
Among others, this means we:
- Build Netflix’s next-generation endpoint management capabilities, focusing on endpoint management not as a mandated control vector but as an optional way to make working here easier and more delightful;
- Design the next generation of office-supporting infrastructure such as Active Directory-based authentication services, printing, etc;
- Design and build lightweight integrations between services in our environment (both built in-house and SaaS) that need to exchange data;
- Actively work to automate (where possible) and transition (where not) support work to Netflix’s in-house world-class tier 2 support organization
This role is responsible for setting the vision and leading the team. You’ll be a key engineering leader in the Netflix Product Organization and will contribute widely as a central team leader, especially given the substantial opportunities and need we have to work cross-functionally.
You will likely spend your time networking both inside and outside the company, recruiting for your team, building effective and strong partnerships with stakeholders and other teams with whom your team needs to effectively collaborate, providing and receiving feedback, and working with your team to set the vision for COSE, as well as working with other leaders within Corporate Engineering to help guide Corporate Engineering as an organization.
What We’d Love To Be True About You
- You’re deeply passionate about inclusion, diversity, and equity, and have some experience improving aspects of these where you’ve worked;
- You have experience leading teams with highly diverse skill sets;
- You can effectively hire and retain high-impact people from diverse backgrounds with diverse motivations;
- You can effectively partner with others in the organization and use your thoughtfulness and empathy to understand the challenges they face, and how you can work together to better life for Netflix employees;
- You can operate both tactically and strategically, and know when best to choose which of these approaches is appropriate in the moment;
- You’re humble, have some understanding of where/how you’d like to grow, and thirst for supportive, constructive, feedback from others to continue to improve yourself;
- You’re courageous, and willing to do uncomfortable things like giving people feedback. You have some familiarity with systems engineering, the AWS cloud, SaaS management at scale, and endpoint management;
- You have some experience, and success, leading engineering teams staffed with senior, autonomous, engineers;
- You are well versed in technical principles like cloud engineering, operational excellence, and balancing performance, efficiency, and reliability;
- You’re deeply interested in organizational culture and health, and have enough familiarity with Netflix’s culture to both find it mostly attractive and to have questions about how it manifests on the ground and impacts your ability to do your job.
This is not a shopping list. We don’t want you to look at each of the points above to figure out whether or not you’re qualified. The better, more useful, question is: Does the gestalt of it describe you? If so, we’d love to chat.
A note about remote work: While COVID is in full force, everyone at Netflix who can work remotely is working remotely, obviously. This will continue for some time. Once people go back into the office, the position can be located out of either our Los Angeles or our Los Gatos offices. However! If you are remote to these two areas (but in the United States) and not interested in moving, are willing to work Pacific time zone hours, and have experience being remote and leading remote teams, let’s talk — Corporate Engineering is moving in the direction of supporting long-term remote employees, and we’d love for you to help us be great at this!
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.