Engineering Manager – Playback Data Systems
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with over 200 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
About Playback Systems
The Playback Systems organization is responsible for building and operating the services necessary to initiate and manage video playback for billions of hours of viewing on Netflix. Note, Playback Systems is not responsible for streaming the video bits to clients, that is the job of the Open Connect organization. Instead, Playback Systems performs the following core functions (subset of responsibilities):
• Expose a simple API to client devices to navigate video playback functionality
• Decide the playback experience the customer sees (video), hears (audio), and reads (subtitles)
• Ensure video playback will be secure (DRM licensing)
• Collect and process client playback telemetry data
About Playback Data Systems
Playback Data Systems (PDS) is one of the four teams within Playback Systems. PDS builds scalable infrastructure to collect and process client playback telemetry data to drive product features and to enable business and operational analytics. For product features, the PDS team implements the business logic and exposes APIs to lookup a customer’s bookmark position (to resume playback at the correct location) and to query a customer’s viewing history (to personalize the user experience). The team also builds and operates infrastructure to “summarize” (reduce, sanitize, compute metrics, etc) client playback telemetry data to facilitate analytic use cases in collaboration with Data Scientists.
In this role you will
Lead a team of capable senior software engineers to deliver high impact results. A successful manager leads by exemplifying the Netflix culture while also seeking out opportunities to expand it. The following qualities and behaviors will help you thrive in the role.
• Ability to foster individual growth and to boost collective performance.
• Credible technical advisor to the team, experience building and operating distributed systems.
• Effective communicator, can articulate complex ideas and influence decisions.
• Prioritizes psychological safety; team achieves a healthy level of engagement.
• Strategic thinking, can build a coherent vision for the future.
• Effective project management, ability to execute locally and cross-functionally.
• Committed to high quality and high value results, negotiates what’s best for Netflix.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.