Senior Researcher – Social Consumer Insights (Brand & Editorial)
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Coupled with our passion for entertainment, the Consumer Insights team helps bring the consumer’s voice into crucial decision-making.
The Social Consumer Insights team seeks to learn from consumers through social media and the public conversations & interactions they have about their favorite shows, movies, and brands.
Do you love entertainment? Passionate about online culture? Treat online research like investigative journalism? Maybe you run that super-niche meme forum? If so, keep reading!
We are looking for a senior researcher with deep experience in online editorial and publishing. This role will focus on partnering with our Brand & Editorial marketing teams, who seek to build affinity and engagement through a series of audience and genre editorial channels (e.g. Netflix Family, Strong Black Lead, Netflix Is A Joke, etc.).
In this role, you will be using social media conversation & audience analysis to translate findings into insights and formulating actionable recommendations for our editorial & brand strategies. The Brand & Editorial teams are global by design, and while this is a LA-based role, the remit of the role will also be global.
We seek an individual who sees themselves in the following descriptions:
- Can flourish in our unique company culture
- Has a strong background in Brand and/or Editorial focussed social media insights:
- Is passionate about culture and how it lives on social media – someone who is constantly on top of social and cultural trends and who is generally aware of “what the internet is talking about today”
- Thinks ‘audience first’ and has hands-on experience building segmentations with digital data
- Has strategic experience in applying social insights into straightforward narrative and smart recommendations
- Has a strong understanding of what makes a brand successful today – what makes a brand’s social strategy engaging and compelling, what values are consumers looking for from brands, and what does that look like on social?
- Has strong experience in designing and leading research methodologies in the social space, along with strong expertise across social listening and audience analysis tools
- Ideally has worked in entertainment and media research and is passionate about content. If you haven’t worked in entertainment, tell us why your experience works in this role
Approaches social insights as investigative journalism:
- You are skeptical of insight until you thoroughly investigate the underlying data
- You treat tentpole moments (new series announcements, trailers, series launch) as “breaking news” and quickly identify and socialize valid insights
- You are a serial hypothesis tester – instead of looking for specific answers, you like to explore the social web to uncover behaviors and validates those behaviors with social data
Is a standout internal consultant & team member:
- Goes beyond cookie-cutter analysis and collaborates with internal partners to provide bespoke solutions
- Understands how to turn consumer insights from “he said she said” into actionable findings that move the business forward
- Looks for big themes – connects the dots and surface learnings from past research to apply today
- Is a phenomenal communicator, written and verbal – can write concise, thoughtful summaries on short timelines for executive audiences
- Grasps overall business objectives and larger strategic context of any work that is done
- Is aware of the nuances of social data and closely partners with other researchers on the consumer insights team to tell a rounded story
- Is a self-starter but loves working in a team and wants to avoid a silo environment
- 5+ years hands-on social media insights experience at a global/regional brand, agency consulting firm, network/studio or media publisher
- Deep experience with different social listening & audience segmentation tools, including Brandwatch, GlobalWebIndex, CrowdTangle, Affinio, Helixa, Audiense etc)
- A social media native – consumes social media as a user and studies it as a researcher
- Experience presenting / socializing insights at all levels of an organization (and esp. to non-researchers)
- Familiarity with other research methodologies (e.g., surveys, focus groups, etc.) a plus
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.