Senior Distributed Systems Engineer – Data Platform
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service.
Data platform team’s mission is to enable Netflix to leverage data to bring joy to our members. We provide centralized data platforms and tools for various business functions at Netflix. We do all the heavy lifting to make it easy for our business partners to work with data efficiently, securely, and responsibly.
We are responsible for building highly reliable, scalable, and operable online, near real-time, analytical, and unstructured data infrastructure. We aspire to lead the industry standard in building a world-class data infrastructure as Netflix leads the way to be the most popular and pervasive destination for global internet entertainment.
We are looking for distributed systems engineers to help evolve and innovate our infrastructure as we work towards our ambitious goal of 500 million members worldwide. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team to bring new perspectives as we solve the next set of challenges. In addition, we are open to remote candidates. We value what you can do, from anywhere in the US.
Big Data Platform
The Big Data Platform team is responsible for software that enables our business partners to make business decisions efficiently and with ease. The platform provides an abstraction layer to orchestrate hundreds of thousands of big data workflows and jobs every day, executing on compute engines like Presto, Spark, or Druid. The team aspires to build an intelligent data warehouse that can auto-analyze and auto-optimize while spearheading Iceberg, an industry-standard analytics data storage format on cloud object store (AWS S3, in our case).
The Real Time Data Platform team builds software that enables our business partners to transport, process, and sink all data at Netflix. The platform enables users to make tradeoff choices across such dimensions as latency, delivery guarantee, cost and programming abstraction. To achieve this, the team provides an abstracted product (Data Mesh and Keystone) in addition to powerful programming interfaces, a managed platform to the lower layer processing engines (Flink and Mantis) and transport engine (Kafka).
The Global Storage Service (GSS) team delivers storage and transport products which provide secure and performant file access to applications and users around the globe. This platform is a foundational building block for multiple content engineering and platform products.
Online Data Infrastructure
The Cloud Data Engineering (CDE) team provides persistence as a service to the rest of Netflix, enabling our business partners to develop applications that bring streaming and delightful content experience to our customers. The team builds high leverage abstractions to improve developer experience and increase productivity, as well as operates and offers polyglot storage as a service on top of world-scale Cassandra, Evcache, CockroachDB, Dynomite and Elasticsearch clusters. Engineers on the CDE team are active in the open-source community and are frequent presenters at industry events.
This would be your dream job if you enjoy:
- Solving real business needs at large scale by applying your software engineering and analytical problem solving skills.
- Architecting and building a robust, scalable, and highly available distributed infrastructure.
- Leading cross-functional initiatives and collaborating with engineers, product managers, and TPM across teams.
- Sharing our experiences with the open source communities and contributing to Netflix OSS.
- You have 5+ years of experience in building large scale distributed applications.
- You are proficient in design and development of RESTful web services.
- Experience building and operating scalable, fault-tolerant, distributed systems.
- You are an expert in Java or other object-oriented programming languages. Python or Scala expertise is a plus.
- You have a BS in Computer Science or related field.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.