Senior Software Engineer II – Retail Platform Engineering
Website Nike, Inc.
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE is a technology company. From our flagship website and five-star mobile apps to developing products, managing big data and providing leading edge engineering and systems support, our teams at NIKE Global Technology exist to revolutionize the future at the confluence of tech and sport. We invest and develop advances in technology and employ the most creative people in the world, and then give them the support to constantly innovate, iterate and serve consumers more directly and personally. Our teams are innovative, diverse, multidisciplinary and collaborative, taking technology into the future and bringing the world with it.
Who you will work with
Does building a scalable suite of platform services to handle the needs of millions of consumers who engage with the Nike web and app ecosystem interest you? If so, come join the Retail Platform Engineering team to be at the forefront of this technology movement!
While Nike Digital Engineering is a big place, our team’s primary concern is building mission critical platforms to serve Retail Commerce in Cloud for Nike Retail and Partner stores around the globe.
Our production code is usually written for the JVM, mostly in Java8 or Node.js, and deployed on Amazon’s AWS infrastructure. Our architecture is focused on reliability, favoring asynchronous approaches to ensure resiliency and availability.
We operate the systems we develop and have a rotating on-call schedule.
We practice continuous delivery – every merged pull request goes directly to production with appropriate feature flagging. Our automation is typically scripted in Python with AWS CloudFormation as the backbone of our deployment architecture.
We collaborate to help each other grow our knowledge and engineering practices, encouraging frequent demos, knowledge sharing sessions, and mentoring relationships where it proves helpful to both the individual and team success.
What you will work on
You will be expected to:
– Successfully operate within our engineering environment and help it evolve over time.
– Review your peers’ technical designs, code, and tests, giving supportive feedback and asking good questions.
– Work in a collaborative environment that rewards experiments, initiative, curiosity, and mentoring.
– Leverage your interest in data and data analysis to understand our consumers and how they engage with our ecosystem.
– Practice DevOps ensuring a culture of testing and releasing software on AWS continuously using automation and monitoring.
– Partner with other engineering and product teams to loosely couple and scale the service ecosystem.
– Work with teams dedicated to content management, membership, notification delivery, and digital marketing.
– Participate in technical development and delivery of backend services in the retail environment
– Partner with product owner to understand requirements and define an MVP for features and agree upon timelines.
– Provide technical expertise in application architecture.
– Collaborating with other teams and architecture to develop new features.
– Ensure quality of the code and products throughout the entire development lifecycle (DevOps)
– Ensure continuous improvement in performance, scalability, extensibility, reliability, usability, and availability of the platform.
– Leverage agile methodology concepts for quality, delivery and continuous improvement.
– Participate in sprint planning and other scrum ceremonies. Help team plan and execute sprint tickets.
– Monitoring and supporting health of services in production.
What you bring to Nike
– You have relevant professional experience or a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, (or another relevant field) with good working knowledge of basic computer science data structures and algorithms.
– 5+ years of professional experience in application engineering.
– 4+ years hands-on experience in Java/Node.js.
– Should have experience in AWS based micro services and no-SQL DB.
– Experience with AWS EC2, AWS Lambda, S3, Cloud Formation, Dynamo DB, Gradle
– Experienced in unit testing using Junit or other tools.
– Experienced in automated functional testing using tools like Cucumber.
– Well versed with Agile methodology.
– Excellent verbal and written communication and collaboration skills to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams.
– Comfortable working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
– You love to learn, grow, and effectively bring new ideas into the group.
– Your experience level could be anywhere from junior to lead, but you bring maturity and thoughtfulness to your day-to-day work.
– You can design and build web services and event processors using AWS and JVM technologies.
– Your broad spectrum of knowledge about data analysis, databases and related data storage paradigms, programming languages, and frameworks informs your decisions.
– You understand scalable, highly available, and eventually consistent distributed systems.
– You have excellent written and oral communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
– You value collaboration and interaction with your teammates and colleagues, defaulting to sharing early and looking for help when needed over delivering perfect results.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.nike.com.