Front End Designer (HTML, CSS, React)
We offer a set of software tools to help Churches get organized.
At Planning Center, we build powerful web and mobile applications for churches. Each of our eight products has a dedicated team of designers and developers committed to refining and expanding that product in response to real customer needs. Our customers include not only over 90 of the 100 largest churches in the country, but also tens of thousands of small community churches—we strive to make day-to-day operations easier for all of them.
We’re a fully remote company that relies on tools such as GitHub, Slack, Notion, Asana, and Zoom. We value asynchronous work while also encouraging pairing to shape work and/or tackle the harder problems. We meet together in person about 4 times a year in our main offices in Carlsbad, CA to continue fostering better working relationships.
Pay & Benefits
Get Paid—We pay in the top 10% of the New York City Rates no matter where you live, contribute to 401k, match charity up to $2,000 a year, and have generous allowance for continued education. The annual salary range for this position is $100,000–$150,000.
Be Healthy—100% remote, co-working stipend, generous paid sick time and vacation time, $200 a month for physical fitness and mental health, 95% medical & 100% dental premium health coverage.
Get Out—Paid Fridays off in the summer, every other Friday off the rest of the year, a month long sabbatical every 5 years, one week off a year to serve with a non-profit, 2 weeks vacation a year increasing to 3 over time.
The long haul—We hope you stay at Planning Center for as long as you’re able. This makes our design, code, processes, and support focused on consistency, longevity, and teamwork.
No Ego—Planning Center is full of incredibly talented people who work hard and love what they do. But, more importantly, we love working as a team. We encourage pairing, teamwork, humility, and a healthy PR culture. There’s no room for rockstars here.
About the work
We’re seeking a front end designer with expertise in modern web technologies to support our team in improving our software. The ideal candidate will be well versed in front end technologies but also have a strong aesthetic sense. While your day-to-day may not typically consist of creating hi-fidelity mockups, you would be expected to understand basic visual design principles that help communicate complex concepts in the Planning Center ecosystem.
The Front End Designer reports to the Product Design Manager and is embedded on a multidisciplinary product team. In this role, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with your Product Manager to shape feature pitches and create wireframes to visualize user flows
- Advocate for our customers by creating and building UI that is simple and visually aligned with our other products
- Pairing with your designer and developer teammates
- Reviewing your teammates’ pull requests to increase the quality of what we build and learn from one another
- Deploying to production with one click (we’re very comfortable with deploying several times a day)
- Must reside and be eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to travel four times each year to connect with the rest of the team (not during a pandemic)
- Proven experience as a front end designer (or similar role) using HTML, CSS, and React
The Hiring Process
During the hiring process, you’ll have a chance to interact with several members of our team. We strongly encourage you to bring any questions you have to anybody you interact with. You’re interviewing us as much as we’re interviewing you.
The teammates you’ll encounter along the way:
- Several designers from the Product Design Team
- The Product Design manager you’ll report to
- Members of our executive team
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We’ll respond to applications as they arrive, usually within a few days. Below is an outline of the steps in our hiring process.
- Step one: Submit your resume and work samples (Portfolio, Github, etc.) by January 6, 2023.
Our offices will be closed until January 3, 2023. Therefore, we will begin responding to candidates on January 9, 2023. You won’t hear from us before then, but please don’t fret!
- Step two: Initial phone call with some folks from our team for you to get to know us
- Step three: An online coding assessment to get a rough understanding of your experience
- Step four: Technical interview over Zoom with the product design manager and a few front end designers
- Step five: Meeting with our executive team and offer extended
Apply with a resume and a cover letter. Your cover letter should speak directly to this position. We want to know what got you into front end work and design, how your experience has set you up for success in this role, and why you want to join our team. If you’ve applied in the past, feel free to apply again.