The online coding and design school with a ❤
Skillcrush is looking for an Instructional Developer to join our team! This is a full-time, mid-career role for someone who’s exceptional at creating learning materials for adult learners and who’s excited to help our students get the skills they need for a career they love in tech.
As our Instructional Developer, you’ll be a part of our Class Operations Team. You’ll report to our Associate Director of Class Operations and work closely with our Instructional Designer. Your main job will be to write new curricula and improve existing content, both on your own and in collaboration with others.
This means you’ll be researching, outlining, writing, editing, and formatting online instructional content, including video scripts, lesson steps, practice exercises, quizzes, worksheets, templates, cheatsheets, syllabi, and other materials. And you’ll be compiling technical information from research, subject matter experts, and other resources and distilling it into organized structural content, including learning goals, detailed class outlines, class project abstracts, and product briefs.
For this role, you need a background in instructional development for adults and an online portfolio to show at least some of the work you’ve done. You should have outstanding writing skills and be able to turn complex concepts into clear, digestible information using the Skillcrush voice and style. You should also have a strong foundation in instructional and multimedia design and be comfortable with HTML, CSS, programming languages, or building websites.
As a successful Instructional Developer at Skillcrush, you’re eager to collaborate and easily take and use feedback positively and constructively. You’re comfortable working on several different projects at the same time, and you stay organized and meet deadlines but are also flexible and open to change. And we hope that you’re passionate about our mission “to improve the quality of life of all women—with a particular focus on BIPOC and trans women, non-binary, and gender-non-conforming individuals—through digital empowerment and skills to build higher earning and more flexible careers”.
- Implement Instructional Designer’s course outlines into content.
- Write and edit instructional content including video scripts, quizzes, activities, and handouts.
- Assist in the creation of learning goals, detailed class outlines, and class project descriptions.
- Review and copy edit draft curriculum, making suggestions to improve grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation, clarity, and flow.
- Source and/or create visual examples, such as screenshots, gifs, images, wireframes, and other visual supplements.
- Work with designers to create graphics, illustrations, and project design comps.
- Receive and incorporate feedback and edits from other team members and provide constructive, actionable feedback as requested.
- Add learning content to the Skillcrush platform and make revisions based on quality control feedback.
- Collaborate with other team members (including the Instructional Designer, subject matter experts, designers, and video editors) successfully and efficiently.
- Ensure tasks are completed on time and deadlines are consistently met.
- Communicate needs and potential roadblocks clearly and proactively.
- A portfolio of work displaying your instructional development abilities.
- Experience developing instructional materials for adult learners.
- Knowledge of instructional and multimedia design best practices.
- Ability to distill complex technical information into plain, actionable language appropriate for beginning learners.
- Ability to write content that matches Skillcrush’s voice, style, formatting, and quality standards.
- Experience working with HTML, CSS, programming languages, or building websites.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback from team members.
- Top-notch written communication skills.
- Available to work with at least 4 hours overlap with our mainly U.S.-based team.
Nice To Haves
- Background in teaching, preferably online.
- Experience writing scripts for instructional videos.
- Experience developing materials that meet accessibility standards.
- Experience working remotely.
At Skillcrush, we use a set of transparent salary tiers to level all roles.
The salary range for this role $66,000-$75,900, dependent on skills and experience.
Benefits & Perks
- Three weeks of paid vacation and several company-wide holidays each year
- Fully covered health insurance for you and subsidized insurance for your partner and dependents, uncovered dental and vision insurance, and FSA for medical expenses and childcare (available for U.S. citizens)
- Sixteen weeks of parental leave (eight weeks paid, eight weeks unpaid) for each new child in your family
- 401(k) plan with 4% match and no vesting time (available for U.S. citizens)
- Professional development stipend
- Monthly coworking or childcare stipend
- Tech equipment stipend (starting after one year)
- Free access to all the Skillcrush courses
- Fully remote work
- A fun, passionate team working from all over the world
Skillcrush is the online coding and design school with a ❤ and a mission to improve the quality of life of all women—with a particular focus on BIPOC and trans women, non-binary, and gender-non-conforming individuals—through digital empowerment and skills to build higher earning and more flexible careers.
At Skillcrush, we’ve created an open and cooperative learning and working environment. We want to hire the best person for the job, including people who think differently than we do and challenge the status quo. We empower our team members, giving them the support and the autonomy they need to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We do what we do well, but we’re also always looking to do it better.
Skillcrush has always been a fully remote company, and we welcome applicants from all over the world. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and we evaluate applicants regardless of their race, race, color, religion, national origin (or current location), gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or family status. We believe a diverse team creates a better experience for our students, a better place to work, and a better world to live in!
We’re committed to becoming an actively anti-racist online tech education company that works against racism in all facets, internal AND external to our organization. You can review our long-term plan for this work here.
How to Apply
We want to make sure your application gets the consideration it deserves. This means we can only accept applications via this link https://skillcrush.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=9 and we ask that you don’t send application materials or follow-ups to Skillcrush or team members via email or social media.
We’ll respond to every application submitted via the link so you’ll hear from us about the position when we’ve reviewed all the applications.
To apply for this job please visit skillcrush.bamboohr.com.