The online coding and design school with a ❤
Skillcrush is looking for junior designers and developers to join our instructional team.
As a Teaching Assistant or Instructor, it’ll be your job to give students the crucial feedback they need to sharpen their design and development skills. You’ll teach them how to iterate based on feedback, concisely talk about their work, and troubleshoot problems.
This means responding to their questions in a timely manner, hosting live video q&as, helping to build engagement in our online community, and just generally being their biggest cheerleader. 🙂
This job could be right for you if you’re a junior designer or developer with great communication skills who cares about making technology education more fun, accessible, and personal.
You should be able to work 20 hours/week, preferably mostly evenings and weekends in U.S. time zone equivalents since students mainly need support outside of their own working hours so that’s when we’ll need you most!
- Ability to give constructive feedback and motivate students as they work on assignments
- Top-notch communication skills (written and verbal)
- Able to work up to 20 hours/week with evening and weekend availability in U.S. time zone equivalents
- Lots of patience!
Requirements for visual & UX designers
- A portfolio of work displaying your ability to design for the web
- Strong understanding of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign—You can design business cards or website comps without breaking a sweat!
- Knowledge of visual design principles including typography and color theory
- Understanding of Figma or another wireframing & prototyping tool
- Experience with journey maps, user flows, and usability testing
- Understanding of best practices regarding wireframes, prototyping, icons, and logo design
Requirements for developers
- A portfolio of work displaying your ability to develop websites from start to finish
- Strong understanding of HTML and CSS fundamentals—You can build simple, static websites and help other junior developers troubleshoot their code.
- Experience using Git & GitHub, and the ability to decipher Git commands and errors
- Understanding of best practices regarding responsive development including Flexbox and grids
- Nice to have: Any additional coding language skills – Python, Ruby, PHP, etc.
Nice to haves (for designers and developers)
- Experience working as a freelance designer or developer
- Understanding of digital marketing best practices, including SEO
- Experience teaching, preferably online or in technology
- Experience working remotely
Responsibilities (for designers and developers)
- Answer student questions in our Slack student community and via email
- Provide weekly live support to students via Zoom video calls
- Give students personalized feedback on their coursework
- Facilitate engagement in our student community
- Attend weekly team meetings and be an active member of our scrum team
- Improve the student experience by identifying and addressing improvements to class material
At Skillcrush, we use a set of transparent salary tiers to level all roles.
The salary for this role is $26-$31/hour, dependent on skills and experience.
The salary range is for both TAs and instructors. Teaching assistants are typically at the start of their career or have some experience in design or development. Instructors have spent significant time working in their field or have a unique perspective that puts them at a higher experience level.
Benefits & Perks
- Fully remote work
- Fully covered health insurance for you and subsidized insurance for your partner and dependents, uncovered dental and vision insurance, and FSA for medical and childcare (available for American citizens)
- Up to sixteen weeks of unpaid parental leave for each new child in your family
- 401(k) plan with 4% match and no vesting time (available for American citizens)
- Professional development stipend
- Monthly coworking or childcare stipend
- Free access to all the Skillcrush classes
- A fun, passionate team working from all over the world
Skillcrush is the online coding and design school with a ❤ and a mission to improve the quality of life of all women—with a particular focus on BIPOC and trans women, non-binary, and gender-non-conforming individuals—through digital empowerment and skills to build higher earning and more flexible careers.
At Skillcrush, we’ve created an open and cooperative learning and working environment. We want to hire the best person for the job, including people who think differently than we do and challenge the status quo. We empower our team members, giving them the support and the autonomy they need to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We do what we do well, but we’re also always looking to do it better.
Skillcrush has always been a fully remote company, and we welcome applicants from all over the world. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and we evaluate applicants regardless of their race, race, color, religion, national origin (or current location), gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or family status. We believe a diverse team creates a better experience for our students, a better place to work, and a better world to live in!
We’re committed to becoming an actively anti-racist online tech education company that works against racism in all facets, internal AND external to our organization. You can review our long-term plan for this work here.
How to Apply
We want to make sure your application gets the consideration it deserves. This means we can only accept applications via this link: https://skillcrush.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=8 and we ask that you don’t send application materials or follow-ups to Skillcrush or team members via email or social media.
We’ll respond to every application submitted here so you’ll hear from us when we’ve reviewed your application. We’re not currently hiring, but we’ll reach out again after that if we feel you might be a qualified candidate for a position we have in the future.
To apply for this job please visit skillcrush.bamboohr.com.