June 2023 Congressional Innovation Fellow
The Congressional Innovation Fellowship will place you among the top tech decision makers in the United States government at a time when technology is reshaping society in fundamental ways. Even if you’ve never considered working in government, the Congressional Innovation Fellowship will allow you to make change at the highest levels and at a scale unparalleled in the private or public sectors.
We are bridging the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing tech savvy people like you– an early-career technologist (two – six years professional experience), including those who have recently finished, or are on track to finish a Master’s program or PhD– to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees. Our goals are to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders — who can understand the challenges of government and in the technology community — and keep Congress up to date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
As a Congressional Innovation Fellow you will:
- Work with TechCongress to choose a placement with a Member or Congress or Congressional Committee and report directly to a senior staffer (like a Legislative or Staff Director) in that office from mid-June 2023 through mid-April 2024.
- Perform duties similar to other Congressional staff by applying your experience in technology to a variety of work, including: researching relevant policymaking (on issues like encryption, autonomous vehicle regulations, facial recognition privacy, health IT, election security, disinformation, open data, cyber/data security and many others); helping educate Members and staff about these issues; Writing legislation; preparing for and organizing Committee hearings, markups, or investigations; building coalitions with partners and other groups; support TechCongress by writing about and presenting on your experience periodically; and represent TechCongress and the Congressional Innovation Scholars at meetings or events.
What we’re looking for in our Fellows:
- Early-career, with between two and six years of experience, including recently finishing (or projected to finish by June 2023) a technical degree program (Master’s, PhD, or done with PhD coursework and still completing your dissertation).
- Tech savvy, with experience working in or studying the technology sector.
- Great interpersonal and communications skills.
- Some technical ability.
- Ability to explain technology to those that aren’t as familiar with technology tools or concepts.
- Track record of success taking initiative and working with others.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Committed to helping get Members of Congress and Congressional staff up to speed on technology issues.
No experience working in or with government? Great! We’re not looking for that. The Congressional Innovation Fellowship is an opportunity to expose technology leaders like you to Capitol Hill. It is first and foremost and educational experience, giving you a one-of-its-kind education into how Congress and the government works.
Fellows earn a stipend equivalent to $64,505 annually during the 10 month program ($5,375/mo.). Benefits include reimbursements for healthcare (up to $400/mo.), fellowship travel (up to $1,500), relocation to DC (up to $1,500), up to $2,000 for accommodation for the first month of the fellowship in the Washington DC area to ease the transition, and a $500 clothing allowance for purchases of professional attire.
To apply for this job please visit www.techcongress.io.