Analytics & Data Manager
Website The Texas Tribune
Texas Tribune is a member-supported, digital-first, news source.
The Texas Tribune, the state’s go-to source for Texas politics and public policy news, is hiring an analytics and data manager to grow our internal data operations and take the Tribune’s data skills to the next level.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the development of tools and practices that give us a better understanding of our audience, our operations, and our priorities in turn. In this role, you will help grow the Tribune’s data efforts with products, initiatives, and skill sets for managing data and gathering insights. We will count on you to help define and lead development of internal data products such as dashboards and reports. You will also use data to help inform and strategize on big projects, ranging from website enhancements, to new platforms or membership strategies, to foundational tech improvements.
This role is housed in the product department, reporting to the Chief Product Officer. The Tribune’s product team is the glue between editorial, technology, and revenue; it encompasses engineering, analytics, and design staff. This is not an editorial position, but you will work closely with journalists and contribute to improving news products. This role can be either in the office or remote, based in the U.S. See the location information for details.
The salary for this position starts at $85,000 + depending on qualifications.
- Tracking organizational progress against strategic editorial, product and revenue goals, and communicating insights across departments.
- Working with engineers to design and maintain the architecture and organizational structure of our data warehouse and pipeline.
- Building and integrating analytics tools that provide actionable insights for audience, product, and sales/revenue departments.
- Working with the Chief Product Officer to define goals and operational metrics for a data and analytics unit.
- Using data to help guide large individual projects that require collaboration between multiple teams.
- Democratizing data through teaching of tools and best practices for data analysis to non-technical staff members across the organization.
- Assisting with the creation of a data and analytics unit in collaboration with the Chief Product Officer.
We want to hear from you if
- You are knowledgeable about data and analytics, and know the scope of questions to be answered with it.
- You understand the importance of data integration and the challenges of data integrity, and can point to experience solving for it.
- You can roll up your sleeves and dive into analytics details; ask questions of data that identify opportunities, inconsistencies, or gaps; and conduct user research to answer questions.
- You are collaborative and eager to work with other departments — such as audience, data visuals, engineering, marketing, and revenue — and external partners.
- You look forward to the prospect of building and defining goals for internal products.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 + years of relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with data and analytics implementations and best practices, across multiple platforms
- Experience building and managing reporting systems or dashboards, from setting the strategy and vision to executing on data infrastructure and visualizations.
- Familiarity with technical landscape for data processing and analysis (roles, vendors, platforms)
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics or similar
- Knowledge of SQL (bonus points for knowledge of BigQuery, R, Node.js, Python, or similar)
- Experience with building and scoping products and programs (e.g. roadmaps, KPIs), especially in digital media
- An ability to to balance short-term needs with long-term goals
- Experience managing, mentoring, and/or coaching individuals
- Excellent communication skills and a passion for great documentation
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
About The Texas Tribune
Here’s what you should know about the Tribune. From day one we’ve had disruption, innovation and risk-taking in our DNA. We’re ambitious as all get out but still have the punch-above-your-weight mentality of a scrappy start-up. We believe we can meet the demands of our audience and our own expectations for excellence without breaking the bank — or our staff. We understand not everything is a story for us — we have to make choices — but we’re always looking to expand our boundaries. We’re nonprofit because the challenging economic reality for media these days obligates us to find a different way, reliable and sustainable, to fund serious journalism. We’re nonpartisan because we live in the United States of Confirmation Bias — and we don’t need to be part of the problem. We don’t need to be yet another source of information affirming the voices and perspectives that are already in people’s heads. At the same time, nonpartisan is not non-thinking. We call B.S. when B.S. needs to be called.
All of us at the Trib believe the best way to achieve that mission is to resemble the state we cover. We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom for people of all backgrounds and ages, and we’re taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this role, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
The Texas Tribune office is located in downtown Austin, steps away from the Texas Capitol building. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the United States. This role is open to remote applicants based in the U.S.
This job is full time and has the following benefits:
- Medical, vision and dental insurance
- Cellphone stipend
- 20 days of paid time off each year
- Up to 16 weeks of paid family leave plus four weeks of additional job protection
- 401(k) matching
- Support for professional training and attending industry conferences
- Remote working flexibility
How to Apply
Click here to submit your application by October 12 with a resume and examples of your work, please submit a cover letter detailing your vision for this position and how you would approach the work. We can’t wait to hear from you.
The Texas Tribune is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for all, and we encourage applicants of all identities, backgrounds, ages, and abilities to apply. Learn more about The Texas Tribune here.