Associate Director, Career Development for Women in Tech
Website University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Illinois - Chicago
The University of Illinois Chicago (UIC) has launched a new initiative that will propel women and underrepresented groups into higher education and careers in tech through curriculum innovation, career access and community development. This initiative is part of a broader multi-year national effort, Break Through Tech, with UIC serving as the academic partner and liaison to Chicago’s tech ecosystem. Seeking a mission-oriented Associate Director to advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in tech, with an emphasis on establishing company allies and partnerships.
This position directs, plans and implements the career development functions for female and female identifying undergraduate students in tech disciplines at UIC by expanding UIC’s presence with local, regional and national employers. Strategic partnerships with employers and/or workforce development organizations will be evaluated and pursued. Leads the career preparation of current and prospective undergraduate students by utilizing best practices and developing strategies and programs.
This is a full-time position based in Chicago with significant industry exposure and ability to exercise leadership skills. Prior experience in securing corporate partners, fund raising, and/or comparable sales/business development role in support of business or program objectives required. Regular travel is not expected but will occur occasionally mostly around scheduled events in the Chicagoland area.
For fullest consideration, please submit your application by April 23, 2021 at jobs.uic.edu.
• Promote and generate visibility of UIC women pursuing tech disciplines in the College of Engineering and other UIC colleges with local, regional and national employers who seek to diversify their employment pool with a focus on gender equity. Identify and cultivate employer relationships for the purpose of hiring target UIC students for internships and full-time positions. Explore partnerships with local Chicago and national workforce development organizations with aligned interests. Leverage UIC’s College of Engineering advisory board and other similar groups comprised of UIC advocates representing Chicago’s industries and leaders.
• Lead program management of student internship and other career focused programs in collaboration with the Engineering Career Center and other applicable UIC college career centers. This includes and is not limited to managing communication to company sponsors, volunteers’ participation, application process, marketing and measuring success for students and the hiring organizations. Create and maintain a hiring organization and stakeholder database to track success metrics and goals. Analyze success
metrics across the lifecycle from internships to full-time hires and propose / implement improvements.
• Develop and execute a plan for undergraduate students to become career ready and seamlessly transition from academic to workplace settings either through UIC resources or third-party entities with targeted expertise. Examples of skill development include negotiating, interviewing and resume writing. Engage employers and UIC college academic advisors on career readiness topics and bring those resources to undergraduate women pursuing tech disciplines. Create an action plan for students to explore careers in technology.
• Participate as part of a team in the bi-annual career fair sponsored by the UIC Engineering Career Center and other employer facing programs. Prepare and present UIC’s value proposition to employers seeking diverse, high potential women talent. Regular travel not expected but will occur occasionally mostly around scheduled events in the Chicagoland area.
• Develop an alumni support network, particularly women alumni in tech careers, accessible to current students. Work directly with the student affairs offices supporting the College of Engineering and other UIC colleges with technology-oriented disciplines. Attend corporate and alumni events, trade shows, professional association events, and other events to cultivate a network of key decision makers.
• Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience leading, executing and/or developing programs. 8+ years of experience preferred
- Require prior experience in securing corporate partners, fund raising, and/or comparable sales/business development role in support of business or program objectives
- Analytical, creative thinker with strong organizational and process skills
Comfortable being a public spokesperson for the program when communicating with all stakeholders
- Proficient at using tools to develop communication aids and to perform analysis
Ability to work collaboratively and maintain a positive rapport with students, professors, and corporate leaders; strong interpersonal skills
- Committed to working with diverse student and community populations
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Offers of employment by the University of Illinois may be subject to approval by the University’s Board of Trustees and are made contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of any criminal background checks and other pre-employment assessments that may be required for the position being offered. Additional information regarding such pre-employment checks and assessments may be provided as applicable during the hiring process.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org