Engineering Manager – Products
Volley develops voice-controlled games and entertainment apps for Amazon Alexa and Google Home. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month. We’re a 35-person team based in San Francisco.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
– Song Quiz – a name-that-tune music trivia game
– Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? – a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
– Magic Word – a brand new GIF game created in partnership with Google
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars, and our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
The product engineering teams are responsible for all of Volley’s products across multiple platforms, including Amazon Alexa and Google Home. In this role you will report to the Head of Product Engineering and oversee development of new voice experiences, engage with our content creation partners, and nurture a diverse team from non-traditional backgrounds. Mentorship, career development, and code reviews are a must for this role!
What you’ll be doing
◦ Report directly to the Head of Product Engineering and become a key technical leader within the company
◦ Lead Volley’s engineering teams across multiple products as you build and scale those products to millions of users
◦ Collaborate with UX experts, designers, and data analysts to deliver best-in-class voice-controlled products
◦ Manage a varied product roadmap while prioritizing the wellness and work-life balance of your team
◦ Take on engineers from bootcamps and other non-traditional paths. You will guide them through their very first tech job— providing career advice, technical guidance, and code review along the way
◦ Collaborate with our head of people to manage Volley’s talent pipeline and grow the team
Things you may have done before
◦ Managed a high-performance engineering team, or you are ready to make the move from a technical lead to an engineering manager
◦ Partnered closely with a design team to rapidly iterate on a new product
◦ Built consumer-facing mobile or web apps at scale
◦ Worked with audio, voice, or other emerging technologies
◦ Volley’s own custom-built engine, designed by a rocket scientist 🙂
◦ Typescript, Node, & Next.js
◦ Kotlin Multiplatform
◦ Kubernetes & Terraform
At Volley, we recognize the importance of work-life balance. We are currently working remotely, but come September will be implementing a hybrid work-from-home and in-office schedule. We also offer 30 days of paid vacation and strongly encourage its use.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and come September, occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.