Principal or Staff Software Engineer, VTS Market
VTS is the modern platform for CRE revenue teams
VTS is changing the way that commercial real estate (CRE) is done—disrupting a $15 trillion industry by becoming the modern operating system for CRE. We invented the category of leasing and asset management, which allows landlords and brokers to take their entire leasing process online to maximize revenue and performance. Last year, we launched the fastest adopted new product in proptech, VTS Market. Rise Buildings by VTS is leading an entirely new category of software – tenant experience. We also recently launched VTS Data, already getting front-page references in the Wall Street Journal and quoted by Reuters, The Real Deal, Commercial Observer, and many more. Our success shows in our numbers—we hit “Unicorn” status in 2019 and today we have over 12 billion square feet of commercial space managed on VTS on 80,000 buildings in 34 countries, and we’ve expanded to over 400 employees globally. It’s an exciting time to join the VTS team as we continue to grow rapidly and break records.
Our headquarters are in NYC, but we have major hubs in other cities including Chicago, IL, Toronto, CA, and London, UK.
Learn more at vts.com, risebuildings.com, or follow us on Instagram (@WeAreVTS), Twitter (@WeAreVTS), or LinkedIn.
Are you wondering about how VTS has adapted to a WFH environment? Read our blog post here to find out
How does this Position help VTS Succeed?
Our mission is to be Commercial Real Estate’s modern operating system, the place where deals happen, customer relationships are nourished, and real-time market data comes to life.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer with experience in leading a team of engineers to navigate a large problem domain, setting a long-term vision, and driving the engineering roadmap to achieve it.
You would be joining the VTS Market team, an early-stage product line focused on connecting businesses with vacant spaces—a process that has traditionally been offline and difficult. We have found product-market fit with a critical piece of the marketing platform. You’ll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices and raising the bar in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive and give hands-on mentorship and make a significant impact on our business’ next phase of growth.
What Makes This Job Awesome?
- Identify, scope and lead large technical projects with high impact across many teams and key stakeholders
- Play a critical role in planning, working closely with senior leaders to develop plans, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy
- Lead the way by staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices, and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way to advance the overall state of technology for the entire organization
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team
- Create technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation
- Support and mentor our senior engineers by being the go-to-person for questions but never be a bottleneck, see around the corner and anticipate engineers’ needs, broadly distribute knowledge, and generally evangelize the platform
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building products/services. Ensure technical decision making aligns with our broad strategic initiatives.
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders to ensure that the most informed decisions are being made
What Makes You a Great Fit?
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with more than one area of deep knowledge and experience
- 8+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale, high availability and fault-tolerant SaaS or consumer applications
- Served as the technical lead for large complex projects that span multiple teams and functions.
- Responsible for the technical roadmap for large business areas.
- Ability to internalize the best ideas from all over the organization, while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale.
- Strong expertise in large scale distributed system designs
- Demonstrated experience in upleveling engineering best practices and creating technical efficiencies across teams
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Ability to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment through excellent verbal and written communication skills
About Our Engineering Team:
- We have a 100+ person product/engineering/design/QA team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on a variety of QA strategies including automated testing and CI
- We do group code review, employee-initiated book clubs, and watch conferences together to learn and share knowledge
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, React, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android
- Learn more on our engineering blog
What VTS Values & How We Show It:
- Strive for Excellence – We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed – We’re employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff – monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious – Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One – We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Take Ownership – Be an owner of the company you’re building with our equity packages.
- Appreciate the Difference – VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!
VTS embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.