Principal Software Engineer, Data
VTS is the modern platform for CRE revenue teams
VTS is changing the way that commercial real estate (CRE) is done—disrupting a $15 trillion industry by becoming the modern operating system for CRE. We invented the category of leasing and asset management, which allows landlords and brokers to take their entire leasing process online to maximize revenue and performance. Last year, we launched the fastest adopted new product in proptech, VTS Market. Rise Buildings by VTS is leading an entirely new category of software – tenant experience. We also recently launched VTS Data, already getting front-page references in the Wall Street Journal and quoted by Reuters, The Real Deal, Commercial Observer, and many more. Our success shows in our numbers—we hit “Unicorn” status in 2019 and today we have over 12 billion square feet of commercial space managed on VTS on 80,000 buildings in 34 countries, and we’ve expanded to over 400 employees globally. It’s an exciting time to join the VTS team as we continue to grow rapidly and break records.
Our headquarters are in NYC, but we have major hubs in other cities including Chicago, IL, Toronto, CA, London, UK, San Francisco, CA, and Austin, TX.
Learn more at vts.com, risebuildings.com, or follow us on Instagram (@WeAreVTS), Twitter (@WeAreVTS), or LinkedIn.
How Does This Position Help VTS Succeed?
Our mission is to be Commercial Real Estate’s modern operating system, the place where deals happen, customer relationships are nourished, and real-time market data comes to life. We’re growing at an incredible pace and are looking for a Principal Software Engineer in data to join our growing platform team in New York City. We’re looking for a thought leader for our engineering team, motivated to help us rethink how we build software, drive those changes across engineering, and eager to continue growing and mentoring.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the VTS platform. You’ll be a critical part of our growing company, working on a cross-functional team to implement best practices and raising the bar in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive and give hands-on mentorship and make a significant impact on our business’ next phase of growth.
What Makes This Job Awesome?
- Influence the direction of the data and machine learning at VTS, ensuring we build and maintain solutions which provide knowledge and insights to internal and external customers
- You will own key areas within our data strategy by envisioning, designing, creating, building and supporting key components of the VTS data infrastructure. This infrastructure needs to operate with a high degree of operational excellence
- You will be responsible for coordinating and organizing patterns and practices shared by all of VTS for data management and machine learning
- Lead the way by staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices, and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way to advance the overall state of technology for the entire organization
- Support and mentor our senior and staff engineers by being the go-to-person for questions but never be a bottleneck, see around the corner and anticipate engineers’ needs, broadly distribute knowledge, and generally evangelize the platform
- Be responsible for software, data, and machine learning architecture including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major components
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team
- Create technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation
- Investigate and resolve application issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders to ensure that the most informed decisions are being made
- Play a critical role in planning, working closely with senior leaders to develop plans, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy
What Makes You A Great Fit?
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with more than one area of deep knowledge and experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale, high availability and fault-tolerant SaaS or consumer applications
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture
- Extensive experience designing and implementing machine learning solutions to simplify the data science workflow
- Deep understanding of system performance trade-offs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability.
- Extensive experience with database design, queueing, caching, containers, APIs, security, and the operational aspects of running large systems
- Excellent planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling
- Extensive experience designing, building and owning large scale distributed systems
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Ability to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment through excellent verbal and written communication skills
About Our Team
- We have a 75+ person engineering team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA Analysts
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, React, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android
- Learn more on our engineering blog
What VTS Values & How We Show It:
- Strive for Excellence – We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed – We’re employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff – monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious – Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One – We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Take Ownership – Be an owner of the company you’re building with our equity packages.
- Appreciate the Difference – VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!
VTS embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.